Name:

I started tri-ing the summer of 2000, one year after my daughter was born. I figured I could do all the sports seperately, but could I do them all together? Well, did Danksin that year and there has been no looking back...

Monday, August 27, 2007

Cranberry Country Triathlon - Pre race

First time doing this race, first time doing an Oly. Suzy twisted my arm back in February to sign up for this race and despite the HHH environment on race day, glad she made me do it. To say I was nervous was an understatment. I was caught in that not so fun place of wanting to do it and wanting to go home.

The whole family came with me down to Lakeville. We stayed overnight at a local hotel, so the kids could use the pool and I wouldn't have to get up at some un-godly hour to drive to the race.

We met up with Suzy at registration late Saturday afternoon and checked out the course. The buoys were out and it really didn't look too bad. Not sure the actual mileage as the race website said 0.8 miles in one place and 0.9 miles in another. I had emailed the RD, and he didn't give me a straight answer, saying that it would be determined when they put the buoys out. Nice.

We figured out the transition area - the racks had spaces with our names on them - so no need to worry about getting there super early to set up. But man the run from the swim was pretty long and getting out of transition for the run was just as long. Oh well, everyone had to do it right?

We were also checking out the locations of the port-o-potties, as I figured I would need to use them before I went out on the run. There were 3 near the bike in and out, but nothing along the run out. I spoke with one of the race organizers and asked him why there weren't any near the run out. He said that last year the run out went right by them, but they changed it this year. He said he'd look into moving at least one to the run out. I thanked him profusely. (phew) As we were leaving, they had 1 hooked up to the back of a pick-up and were moving it.

We then headed over to the hotel, checked in and decided to beat the evening rush and get dinner early. Found a local diner and had some good food. After getting back to the hotel, my daughter and I headed down to the pool, while DH and son stayed in the room and watched the Red Sox. DH was recovering from his 75 mile ride and my son was recovering from 2 days of off and on fever.

Suzy joined us and we chit chatted about the race, our jitters and our WW friends doing an Ironman...

1 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

I didn't realize this was your first Olympic race! Congratulations. I did my first Olympic last September (haven't done my second quite yet . . .). It's not easy! Sounds like your pre-race prep was right on target. Can't wait to read about the actual race.

Anita

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home